Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Penpals

I love writing letters,
and recieving letters
that are hand written.

They make me feel beautiful,
and loved.
Like someone, anyone out in the world
knows I'm alive,
and wants to tell me they are too.


My mother used to give me
a stationary set every year
for Easter.
It was always covered in
beautiful spring flowers.
I didn't like it then.
I didn't like flowers,
or pink. Or being a girl.

Now I embrace it.
I embrace my girly-ness.
I embrace pretty floral paper.
I embrace writing letters by hand.

Because when you recieve personal mail,
(not that junk the cable company sends!)
whether it be a package or a letter,
your heart skips a beat.

My heart skips a beat every time
because that letter,
whether it took one minute, or ten, or thirty to write,
reminds me that another person 
recognizes my existance,
and is willing to fight
the physical distance between us
in order to get to know me better.

When I open my mailbox and find a letter,
my life is full of love.


So, if you ever want to be penpals,
let me know and penpals we shall be.

image source: weheartit

No comments:

Post a Comment