Sunday, February 12, 2012

To Be Honest

To be honest, I used to be all about Valentine's Day and I'm a little ashamed. I'm ashamed of the fact that the flowers, the chocolate, the hearts everywhere were everything to me. The most important day in all my past relationships. I would see people rushing around with their arms full of sweets and cards that say I Love You and feel a little left out if I didn't get the same quantity or quality of things, but now, now I feel like I was missing the point. Like putting all that effort into one day, a single day, was a little pathetic.

After meeting my husband almost four years ago, and now, after living our first year as a married couple, I realize that I don't want to show my husband that I love him more on Valentine's Day. I want him to feel the most loved on a random Thursday, when I pick him up from school with a slice of mountain berry pie. Or when I bring home a shirt and slippers for him because he likes to feel comfy and warm. Or when I ask him questions about politics or economics, two things that don't really interest me, because he's so much smarter than me, and has such a beautiful voice.

Ah, now I just want to spend the day cuddling under a blanket watching a movie with him. Which is exactly what I'm going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment